These Whole30 Crab Cakes with Tartar Sauce are perfect for an easy weeknight meal. The homemade tartar sauce makes the perfect topping!
What is best to serve with crab cakes?
There are so many awesome choices when it comes to what to serve with your crab cakes. If you are wanting to keep your meal Whole30 or Paleo, serving these with a side salad or roasted asparagus is my favorite. If you aren’t doing a Whole30 then I love to serve these with a side of rice.
Is crab Whole30 compliant?
Yes! Crab is Whole30 compliant, which makes me one happy girl. You have to make sure you read your labels when trying to find a Whole30 compliant crab in a can. This is the brand I use and found them at Whole Foods.
Why are my crab cakes falling apart?
Most of the time when your crab cakes fall apart it is because you don’t have a balance between your wet and dry ingredients. If you feel your mixture is too dry then add a little extra mayo. If you feel like your mixture is too wet, then add some more almond flour.
How to make Whole30 Crab Cakes with Tartar Sauce?
First, you will need to ring out as much moisture from the crab meat as you can. I like to line a few paper towels together and use them to squeeze out the water from the crab meat.
Next you will dice onion and bell pepper and add it to a bowl with the crab meat.
In a small bowl you will whisk together Whole30 compliant mayo and 1 egg. This is what helps bind the crab cakes together.
Add the mayo and egg mixture to the bowl then add almond flour, garlic powder, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper.
Mix everything together and form into 4 patties. Heat avocado oil in a pan then add the crab cakes to the pan.
Cook the crab cakes for 4-5 minutes a side.
For the tartar sauce, mix together Whole30 compliant mayo, lemon juice, minced garlic, relish, and pepper.
Looking for more Whole30 recipes? Check these out…
Whole30 Crab Cakes
- 12 oz Crab Meat
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 1/2 Cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Whole30 Compliant Mayonaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For Tartar Sauce
- 1/4 cup Whole30 compliant mayo
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp relish
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Rinse the crabmeat and then squeeze out as much moisture as you can with a paper towel or tea towel and place in a mixing bowl
- Dice the red bell pepper and onion and add it to the crab in the mixing bowl
- In a small bowl, crack the egg and lightly whisk them
- To the whisked eggs, add the mayo and whisk together to make a thick sauce
- Add the egg/mayo sauce, almond flour, garlic powder, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper to the mixing bowl and combine
- Form mixture into 4 equal cakes and cook on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side
For the Tartar Sauce
- Add the mayo, lemon juice, minced garlic, relish, and pepper to a small bowl and mix together well