I don’t think I tried a black bean burger until I moved to Austin 10 years ago. That’s when my love for black bean burgers started! These Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers are one of my favorite weeknight dishes.
Brent and I aren’t vegans or plant-based eaters, but we try and eliminate meat from our meals a few times a week. I love making my Blueberry Lemon Chia Pudding for a plant-based breakfast! We don’t eat a lot of dairy, but we still eat eggs. With plant-based eating trending more and more each year, I wanted to come up with a black bean burger that doesn’t use eggs. It seems that most black bean burger recipes have eggs in them. Even without eggs in this recipe, the black bean mixture holds together pretty well!
One trick to getting these Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers to hold together is getting as much moisture out of the beans as you can. The best way to do this is to place the beans under the broiler. I rinse the beans, dry them with a paper towel, then but the under the broiler for 5 minutes. This helps dry the beans out some which will help keep them together when you form your patties.
You can serve your black bean burgers up with whatever toppings and buns you like. I like using Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free Hamburger Buns (by far the best gluten-free buns I have ever tried), tomato slices, red onions, and avocado. The recipe is written to make 4 patties, but it can easily be cut in half to only make two.
Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Rinse and pat dry black beans
- Line a baking sheet with foil, place beans evenly on baking sheet, cook beans under broiler for 5 minutes
- When beans are done, place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse till combined
- Place cooking oil of choice in a satué pan and turn to medium heat
- Using your hands, form 4 evenly sized patties and place in sauté pan
- Cook patties for 5 minutes each side being very careful when flipping