To be totally honest with yall, I hate making breakfast during the week. That's why this Whole30 Mexican Breakfast Casserole is my new best friend! Making this casserole at the beginning of the week to have ready during the week is amazing.
When Brent, my husband, and I did our first Whole30 three years ago, I literally made scrambled eggs every morning. How boring is that? I got so burnt out with eggs but couldn't think of any other Whole30 breakfast ideas. That's how this Whole30 Mexican Breakfast Casserole recipe was born! I also have another Whole30 breakfast casserole recipe which I like to keep in rotation, Easy Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Casserole.
I love doing my meal prep on Mondays, which is my day off. This casserole is pretty easy to whip up and it's always a hit with my husband. I call that a win-win!
The ingredients in this casserole are simple and flavorful. I love using this Whole Foods Organic Medium Salsa in this recipe. It's Whole30 compliant and tastes amazing! You can also add some meat to this recipe if you're feeling up for it. I will sometimes add my Easy Breakfast Sausage to this and it just takes it up a notch! Also, in my opinion, these casserole squares aren't complete without a little hot sauce!
Whole30 Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes
- 12 eggs
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- ½ a medium onion diced
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or ghee for cooking the potatoes and veggies
- Preheat oven to 375
- Diced potatoes into ½ inch chunks
- Over medium heat, heat avocado oil or ghee in a medium to large skillet and add diced potatoes
- Cook the potatoes for 8-10 minutes till lightly browned then add bell peppers and onions and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes
- While the potatoes are cooking, add eggs, salsa, cilantro, and seasonings to a large mixing bowl and whisk together
- When potatoes and veggies are done, let sit to cool for 2-3 minutes then add to the egg mixture
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with avocado oil spray and then pour the mixture into the casserole dish and bake uncovered at 375 for 40 minutes
- Once cooked, cut into equal squares and store in the refrigerator