This gluten free and dairy free beef stroganoff recipe has a classic stroganoff flavor and is made with clean ingredients!
Stroganoff is one of those comfort meals that I have always loved! This stroganoff recipe uses gluten free noodles, dairy free sour cream, ground beef, and clean ingredients to make a healthier version of the traditional ground beef stroganoff. This gluten free and dairy free stroganoff recipe is sure to be a huge hit with the whole family!
Sour cream- I use this dairy free sour cream from Kite Hill and it is amazing. I haven't tried another brand of dairy free sour cream but any brand will work just fine. I get this brand at Whole Foods but I think you can find it at Sprouts and some Target stores.
Sour cream- If you can't find dairy free sour cream, you can use coconut cream to keep this recipe dairy free. Another option is plain greek yogurt if you don't mind the dairy.
Arrowroot flour- You can use tapioca flour instead of arrowroot flour. I have also tested this recipe using 1 tablespoon gluten free flour and it works great!
Ground beef- You can substitute ground beef for ground bison or even ground turkey. My personal favorite way to make this recipe is with ground bison. Ground bison can be found in most grocery stores and even at Costco.
Beef broth- If you don't have beef broth you can use chicken or vegetable broth. Changing the broth won't give you that great beef flavor, but it will do in a pinch.
Step by step
- Cook the pasta according to the boxes instructions
- In a sauce pan melt ghee over medium heat
- Chop the mushrooms and dice the onions
- Add the chopped mushrooms and diced onions to the melted ghee and cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper to the mushrooms and onions and cook until browned, about 7-8 minutes
- While the meat is cooking, mince the garlic and then add it to the browned meat and cook for 2 minutes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth, coconut aminos, and arrowroot flour and then add it to the ground beef
- Cook the sauce until it has thickened, about 4-6 minutes
- Once the sauce has thickend, mince the parsley and add it along with the sour cream to the sauce
- Turn the heat off and stir the sour cream in until it has fully melted and combined
- Toss the cooked pasta noodles in the sauce and serve, or place noodles in a bowl and top with the sauce
Frequently asked questions
You can thicken beef stroganoff with arrowroot or tapioca flour. You can also use corn starch.
If you plan to make this and have leftovers, be sure to toss your cooked pasta with a little avocado oil before adding it to the sauce.
You can store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Gluten Free Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup mushrooms diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 oz gluten free noodles I like using Jovial Rotini
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour or 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- ½ cup dairy free sour cream I use Kite Hill's Dairy Free Sour Cream
- Cook pasta according to package
- Add the ghee to a large pan and turn the heat to medium
- Dice the onions and mushrooms and add them to the pan with the melted ghee and cook till tender about 4-5 minutes
- Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper to the onions and mushroom and cook till browned, about 7-8 minutes
- While the beef is cooking, mince the garlic then add it to the beef once it's browned and cook for another 2 minutes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth, coconut aminos, and arrowroot flour then add it to the pan with the beef
- Cook the sauce for about 4-6 minutes or until the sauce has thickened
- Once the sauce has thickened, mince the parsley and add it to the sauce along with the sour cream
- Turn the heat off and stir the sauce until the sour cream has melted
- Plate your cooked pasta noodles and top with the sauce. You can also add the cooked pasta noodles directly to the sauce and stir to combine them together