This Whole30 Crockpot Pot Roast slow cooker recipe is easy to make and packed with flavor. I actually make this pot roast recipe with bison chuck roast and it's amazing. It's one of my favorite crockpot recipes!
How to cook pot roast in a crockpot?
First you will cut your chuck roast into 1 -1.5 inch pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
Second, you will sprinkle 2 tablespoons of arrowroot flour into the mixing bowl with the chuck roast pieces and toss them together with tongs.
Add two tablespoons of avocado oil to a large sautÃ© pan and heat to medium heat.
Once the oil is hot you will sear the meat for 3-4 minutes on each side. You don't want the meat to cook all the way through, you just want to brown the outside.
Next, you will throw the browned meat and all the juices into a crockpot.
Add 3 chopped medium carrots, 3 chopped medium celery stalks, 2 chopped medium Yukon gold potatoes, and half of an onion chopped into the crockpot.
Next, in a small bowl you will whisk together, ½ cup of beef broth, 2tsp dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon coconut aminos, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons of fresh minced thyme.
Finally, add the sauce into the crockpot and cook on either low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Is it ok to cook a pot roast on high in the crockpot?
You can cook this recipe on high in the slowcooker for about 4 hours if you would like. Depending on how much time I have when I am cooking it I will either do 4 hours on high or about 8 hours on low.
Does liquid need to cover the pot roast in the crockpot?
Your liquid does not need to cover the pot roast when cooking it in the crockpot. You will see that there seems to be very little liquid in the slowcooker, but trust me it is the perfect amount.
How much water do you put in a crockpot to cook a pot roast?
I prefer to use beef broth instead of water in this Whole30 Crockpot Pot Roast recipe. You could substitute water or even chicken broth if you would like. The beef broth tends to give the pot roast a little extra flavor.
Do you have to brown a roast before putting it in the crockpot?
You don't have to brown the roast before putting it in the crockpot, but it won't have that nice crispness to it if you don't. Also, the arrowroot flour that is used on the roast before browning is what helps thicken up the sauce into a nice gravy. Trust me, it's worth taking the extra 10 minutes to brown the meat first.
I have an amazing crockpot from Ninja that can also be used as a stovetop, so I am able to brown the meat right in the crockpot then switch it over to the slowcooker mode. It comes in handy!
Can I make substitutions?
There are a few substitutions you can use in this recipe if you would like. For example, I like to use bison chuck roast but you can use traditional beef chuck roast.
Also, if you don't have beef broth you can use chicken broth or even water if you need to.
If you don't have arrowroot flour then you can substitute tapioca flour.
Looking for more Whole30 recipes? Check these out...
Whole30 Crockpot Pot Roast
- 1 lbs Chuck Roast
- 3 medium Carrots chopped
- 3 medium Celery Stalks chopped
- 3 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes chopped
- ½ Onion Chopped
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot Flour
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil for browning the meat
- ½ cup Beef Broth
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Thyme minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Cut the chuck roast into 1 inch pieces and place in a large mixing bowl
- Sprinkle the arrowroot flour over top of the chuck roast pieces and use tongs to coat the meat
- In a large saute pan heat the avocado oil to medium heat
- In a single layer add the chuck roast to the pan and sear for 3-4 minutes a side till all sides are browned but not fully cooked
- Chop the potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots while the meat is browning
- Add the browned meat and all the juices, the potateos, celery, onion, and carrots to the crockpot
- Mince the garlic
- In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, coconut aminos, dijon, minced garlic, minced thyme, salt, and pepper
- Pour the sauce into the crockpot, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4