This easy Gluten-Free Cornbread recipe is made in under 30 minutes, dairy free, free from refined sugar, and has a slightly sweet honey flavor.
I love me some cornbread! In my opinion, you can't make chili without having cornbread to go with it. Every time I make my Southwestern Bison Chili I have to make a batch of this cornbread to go with it. I also love using this recipe for my Gluten-Free Cornbread Stuffing!
This cast iron skillet cornbread recipe takes under 30 minutes to make and is gluten-free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. I use a combination of coconut sugar and honey to give this recipe the perfect touch of sweetness.
Gluten-free flour: I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 flour
Honey- you can substitute maple syrup for honey and can also add more if you want a sweeter tasting cornbread
Gluten-free flour- I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 flour. I haven't tested this recipe with any other gluten-free flour but I am sure it would work with a basic gluten-free flour. I would not substitute the gluten-free flour for almond flour or coconut flour.
Unsweetened almond milk- you can substitute whatever kind of unsweetened dairy free milk you like. If you aren't dairy free, you can also substitute the almond milk for regular milk.
Coconut sugar- If you want to substitute the coconut sugar with regular white sugar you can. I have made this recipe with white sugar before and it comes out great.
Step by step
- Add the unstweened almond milk, gluten-free flour, gluten free cornmeal, honey, baking powder, egg, and melted coconut oil to a large mixing bowl and whisk till combined
- Add the cornbread batter to a cast iron skillet or 9x9 pan and bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes
Frequently asked questions
Cornmeal is naturally gluten-free because it is made from corn kernels. Not all packaged cornmeal is gluten-free because manufacturers can also process wheat on their machinery and cross-contaminate. You want to be sure to buy cornmeal that is certified gluten-free, like Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornmeal
There a quite a few gluten-free cornbread mixes on the market these days. Over the years I have tried a few brands and none of them have knocked my socks off. Making gluten-free cornbread from scratch is just as simple as a mix and isn't filled with extra ingredients and additives.
There are so many ways to jazz up this cornbread recipe. Here are a few of my favorite.
- diced jalapenoes- add ¼ or ⅓ cup of diced jalapenos
- bacon- cooked and crumbled
- garlic and rosemary- mince the garlic and chop the fresh rosemary
You can store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Since this recipe is made with coconut sugar, the cornbread will have a slight brown color. If you want to use regular white sugar the cornbread will come out a nice pale yellow.
Looking for something to make with this cornbread? Try one of these recipes:
- Preheat oven to 400° fahrenheit
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl
- Spray a cast iron skillet with avocado oil
- Pour cornbread mixture into the cast iron skillet and bake at 400° Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes