Made with tangy buffalo chicken that's stuffed in jalapenos and wrapped in crispy bacon, these Buffalo Chicken Poppers are the ultimate party and game day dish.
I'll let you in on a little secret about me, I'm obsessed with anything covered in buffalo sauce. I swear I make this crispy buffalo chicken once a week. So naturally, I had to stuff jalapenos with something in a buffalo sauce.
When it comes to the Superbowl or really any game day or party, these are always my go-to dish to make. They are always a hit!
Not only are these jalapeno poppers beyond tasty, but they are also gluten free, dairy free, Whole30, and Paleo. This makes them even better for bringing to a party if there are guests who have food allergies or are trying to eat clean.
If you are doing a January Whole30 or September Whole30 this will be a game changer for you!
Hot sauce- I use Frank's Orginal Hot Sauce but you can use a buffalo sauce like Frank's or Primal Kitchens Buffalo Sauce
Chicken- I use chicken breasts but you can use chicken thighs or even a rotisserie chicken
Mayo- You can use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo. Note: if you are doing a Whole30 or trying to stay dairy free then you can not substitute for greek yogurt. Another great substitute that will keep this dairy free and Whole30 is using Kite Hill Cream Cheese
Step by Step
- Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top of the cookie sheet
- Cut the chicken into one inch chunks and season with salt and pepper to your liking
- Add avocado oil to a saute pan and heat the oil to medium heat
- Add the chicken to the heated pan and cook for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through
- Add the chicken to a food processor and pulse until the chicken is shredded
- To a large mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken, mayo, hot sauce, and all the seasonings and combine well
- Cut the jalapenos in half long ways and deseed and devein them
- Cut the bacon in half to give you 16 strips of bacon
- Fill the jalapenos evenly with the buffalo chicken mixture
- Carefully wrap each jalapeno with bacon and set on the cooling rack
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutues or until the bacon is crispy
Frequently asked questions
Since the jalapenos are deseeded and deveined they don't pack much spice.
Most jalapeno poppers are filled with tons of cheese but these only have a little but of mayo making them much healthier than regular jalapeno poppers.
I always try and lay the bacon with the seams underneath the jalapeno. You can use toothpicks to keep the bacon in place if you would like.
If you don't have a food processor you can use a blender or even a hand held mixer to shred the chicken.
Lining a cookie sheet with foil and putting a cooling rack on top helps to get the bacon crispy on all sides of the jalapeno.
Looking for more appetizer recipes? Check these out...
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Your feedback is so important to me.
Buffalo Chicken Poppers
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 8 Jalapenos
- 8 Strips of Bacon I use Applegate No Sugar Whole30 Bacon
- ¼ Cup Mayo I use Primal Kitchen's Whole30 compliant mayo
- ¼ Cup Frank's Original Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Chives
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Dill
- ½ teaspoon Salt Plus extra to season chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon Pepper Plus extra to season chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top
- Cut chicken breast into 1 inch chunks and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cook chicken on medium heat for about 5-6 minutes or until cooked through
- Transfer cooked chicken to the food processor and pulse till chicken is stredded
- Add shredded chicken to a medium sized mixing bowl and add mayo, hot sauce, and all the seasonings then combine well and set aside
- Cut jalapenos in half (to make 16 jalapeno halves), deseed and remove veins
- Cut bacon strips in half to make 16 bacon strips
- One at a time, fill the jalapeno halves with the buffalo chicken mixture and wrap a piece of bacon around the jalapeno (I try to keep the ends of the bacon on the bottom of the jalapenos)
- Place stuffed and wrapped jalapenos evenly on the cooling rack and bake for 25-30 minutes until bacon is crispy. Serve with a side of Whole30 ranch for dipping
- food processor
- Cookie sheet
- Cooling rack
- sauté pan
*nutrition information is an approximateShare this recipe on Facebook