This healthy coleslaw recipe has a classic coleslaw flavor but is Whole30, Paleo, dairy free, gluten free, and free from added sugars.
Made with simple and clean ingredients, this Whole30 version of creamy coleslaw is perfect for a summer time barbecue. Traditional coleslaw recipes are filled with added sugars and mayonnaise that is filled with questionable ingredients. The creamy coleslaw dressing in this recipe is made with Whole30 compliant mayonnaise, white vinegar, celery seed, and a few other seasonings. It comes together in under 10 minutes making it a great side dish for family gatherings or a weeknight dinner side. I made this all the time during the week to go with crispy Whole30 buffalo chicken. It truly is the best coleslaw recipe!
Mayonnaise- I like using Primal Kitchen Mayo made with Avocado Oil
Cabbage- I like using a bag of coleslaw mix and throw away the premixed dressing it comes with or a bag of mixed shredded cabbage which you can get from your local grocery store. If you can't find the pre shredded cabbage you can shred your own cabbage. Just buy one green cabbage and one purple cabbage and shred about ¼ of each.
Vinegar- I love using white vinegar but you can use apple cider vinegar instead.
Mayonnaise- If you want to use your own mayo then you can make some homemade mayo. You can also use vegan mayo in this recipe.
Here are some fun ways to jazz up your coleslaw.
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Lemon juice
- Cherry tomatoes
- Pickle juice. This may sound weird but adding a little pickle juice take this to another level.
Step by step
- In a large bowl, add the pre-shredded cabbage mix.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, dried celery seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the shredded cabbage. Using tongs, toss to combine.
- Cover the coleslaw and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Frequently asked questions
Most coleslaw with mayonnaise isn't great for you. This coleslaw recipe uses nothing but clean and high quality mayonnaise making it a lot better for you.
No. Store bought coleslaw is made with sugar, mayonnaise filled with soybean oil, corn starch, and random chemicals.
Traditional coleslaw sauce is made of sugar, mayonnaise, vinegar, and seasonings.
Store this coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Your feedback is so important to me.
Looking for more Whole30 recipes? Check these out!
Creamy Whole30 Coleslaw (Paleo)
- 12 oz package shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup Whole30 mayo
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Add mayo, vinegar, garlic powder, celery seed, onion powder, pepper, and salt to a small bowl and whisk together
- Add the shredded cabbage to a medium-large mixing bowl and pour dressing over cabbage and toss to combine.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving